Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Moment of Realization

As I was praying to God one night, it was the first in-depth, concentrated, and full-hearted prayer that I had made in a long time.

I remember telling Him that it was hard for me to be passionate and in love with someone that I never saw, never physically touched, and never heard his voice (referencing God Himself). It was hard enough for me to pray to God at night before I went to bed without getting sidetracked with other thoughts, or without falling asleep.



As I was explaining to God the difficulty I was having with my passion for Him, to fall completely in love with Him, or to devote my daily life to Him on a consistent basis, it all became clear to me…

Just when I thought I had never heard God actually speak to me…He did. Not verbally out-loud, but in my heart I could hear Him clearer than ever.
___________________________________________________________

The first thing that was revealed to me came visually in my mind. He painted a picture and a visual description to answer my prayer…He really does know that I am a visual learner!

I imagined a single grain of sand.

You’re probably thinking…sand?
What does a tiny grain of sand have to do with anything?

Well, here’s what I saw: A single grain of sand was placed at the beginning of a black line. The black line went on and on and on and on and on and on and on…you get the picture. The black line never ended.

It was a black line that wrapped around the world 100 trillion times (at least) and it all started with that tiny grain of sand. For single grains of sand lined up to make it even one time around the world would be a LOT of sand, more than I can even attempt to calculate.

Guess what that one grain of sand represented? 100 years.


100 years is an approximately how long humans have on this Earth, if we get lucky. And that one grain, compared to an eternity of grains, is really NOTHING. It’s so small in comparison of eternity...

...so why do we put so much of our hearts, time, and effort into gaining worldly things that only last for that one tiny grain of time?

Do we not see the BIG picture? There will be over 10 TRILLION of those grains of sand that we spend in Heaven…or in Hell...

But even though that tiny grain of sand is so small in comparison to an eternity of sands, what we do on this Earth for the short amount of time we have DEFINES and DETERMINES our fate…for the REST OF ETERNITY.


Doesn’t that blow your mind?

Doesn’t it make you think about life DIFFERENTLY?

This representation made me realize that those words I had said to God earlier in my prayer about it “being so hard to devote my life completely to God and fall in love with Him” put a bitter taste in my mouth and made me feel like I had just taken a drink of poison. I realized that what I had said was so arrogant and selfish.

It shouldn’t matter if I spent 100 years of my life in utter pain, heartache, sorrow, loneliness, unpopularity, poverty, or any other misfortunate lifestyle. Having a lot of friends, caring more about what other people think over God’s judgment, obsessing over money, living the American dream, marrying the perfect spouse, having a lot of materialistic treasures, living comfortably, “livin’ life” in my own selfish ways, having fun, being accepted, and all other selfish, worldly desires should not matter in this small grain of time. It’s all going to disappear and be taken away when we die.

What then?
What will you have left?
When it’s all said and done, what things done on Earth will benefit you in Heaven?
What will God’s decision be on Judgment Day?

THIS is when I ultimately realized that nothing else matters in this life than living each and every single day of this small grain of time for GOD and GOD ONLY.

____________________________________________________________

Today's culture reinforces the idea that life is all about YOU and what you want is all that matters. It also effortlessly idolizes and obsesses over worldly things that are temporary, will all go away and not matter in the other trillion grains of sand...which is forever and ever and ever more.  

We were only created for God’s purpose and when we die (whenever that day comes, young or old), and spend the rest of our lives in eternity of Heaven or Hell, will having money, success, comfort, popularity, the American dream, the perfect house, a nice car, a high paying salary career, or any of the other materialistic worldly things be WORTH IT??

If we spend our entire lives for ourselves and for gaining temporary treasures and desires of this world, we will have and gain NOTHING for the rest of eternity when we die.



“And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your soul? Is anything worth more than your soul?” –Mark 8:36

“Then Jesus said, ‘If you want to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for My sake, you will save it.” –Luke 9:23-24

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’” – Matthew 7:21-23


Even DEMONS and Satan himself believe in God, so believing will not give you the salvation that lets you enter the gates of Heaven. The RELATIONSHIP is what really matters. And whenever you have a RELATIONSHIP with God, all other things will start fall into place (such as witnessing to others, doing the right thing, living a godly life, changing bad habits, etc.) and the desire to live a life that reflects a Christian follower will become more important to you.
____________________________________________________________

Serious about becoming a committed follower of Jesus and gain a personal relationship with Him?

Highly Suggested Read: “Not A Fan.” By Kyle Idelman 

No comments:

Post a Comment